New auditorium causing inconvenience

Auditorium“I feel left out; I would love to have a musical my senior year.” Kaitlin Parks didn’t realize that Willy Wonka, performed in 2011, would be the last musical she could perform in as a North student.

The bond issue brought the Redskins a brand new, multi-million dollar gym. A reconstructed auditorium was part of the plan, too. Long overdue, the 84-year-old theater is finally getting a makeover. However, the amount of time needed for the remodel is affecting some students in the worst way possible.

“Our plays can’t be developed to their full potential,” said Selby Merrow, drama student.  “We don’t have any room. It’s a task to get prepared to do a show.”

Julia Morales, another theatre student expresses her irritation “We don’t get to fully practice because we don’t have a full stage”.

The beautiful art deco space has already been partially taken apart. Along with the lights, sound booth and some stage space, the seats located on the balcony and main level have been removed.  Working was not done on the auditorium when school was out. At this point, actual remodeling work hasn’t even begun – postponing the date it will be open to students.

The projected finish date is March. However, students and staff recall the delays in the gym’s completion, and many expect the auditorium won’t be open until next school year.

“It makes me feel like other groups or activities are being put at a higher priority,” said Parks, who has been active in choir and drama during her high school career.

Although the auditorium is unavailable, the shows must go on. North High Theatre has been performing in the cafeteria, while the choirs were forced to find another venue to perform. Luckily for the band, it is marching season. However, the lack of an auditorium will greatly affect their performances during second semester.

Despite the delays, the new auditorium will eventually be unveiled, and most agree it will be a great improvement.  A new sound booth, lights, a widened stage, and new seats will enhance  the Auditoriumexisting art deco appearance.