The Student News Site of Wichita North High School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Polls

Do you look at the art that's around the school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Owner of Sweet P’s food truck happy to be by North

Andrea Hernandez

Sweet P’s has been sitting across the street from North High School for a little while now. This Mexican- American food truck is run by David Sandoval.

60-year-old David Sandoval has had the food truck open for five years. He began by working in factories, driving forklifts, but he has been cooking all his life.

Sandoval is the youngest of seven. He started cooking at a young age because none of his brothers would want to cook when his mother was working late. He grew up watching his mother cook, so he cooked all his life.

At one point in Sandoval’s life, he got injured. This injury forced him to change jobs out of a factory. He saw that Chipotle was opening up in town and took an opportunity there. This was his first experience with food in a business setting. While helping Chipotle he helped, CiCi’s, and Taco Tico.

Once he made a change from those larger companies, Sandoval and his daughter decided to work together to open a food truck. His daughter Pilar owns the truck.

“I have always called my daughter Sweet P, so I named the truck after her. I’ve always told my kids you have to find something you love in order to work,” Sandoval said.

Sandoval attended North High himself and all of his kids have gone to and are currently going to North. He enjoys having the food truck because it gives him the ability to attend his children’s events now. Sandoval grew up on the North side. He has never lived anywhere else except the neighborhood around North High.

“I wanted to stay in the neighborhood with the food truck. Everyone talks about keeping the dollars in the neighborhood or else that neighborhood does not prosper. Notice how they have all the fiestas in old town, that only benefits the people in old town. So, I really try to stay here, and it is a little thing, but it really does motivate me to be in the neighborhood,” Sandoval said.

There is a North High special for the students that attend the school. There is a burger, flour taco, or enchiladas for only $5. Any teacher

that works at North gets a special as well. One teacher a day gets a free plate. Sandoval is always willing to feed anyone.