The Student News Site of Wichita North High School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Polls

Do you plan to attend college?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

North graduate loses grandmother at Super Bowl parade shooting

Lisa Lopez-Galvan, the grandmother of 2023 North graduate Julian Banuelos, was killed yesterday when multiple people began shooting at the Super Bowl parade in Kansas City.
Julian Banuelos
North graduate Julian Banuelos (bottom left) with his family, including his grandmother Lisa Lopez-Galvan (top left). Lopez-Galvan was killed yesterday when she was shot at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade.

Wednesday afternoon there were many lives affected in Kansas City, Missouri. A mass shooting occured during Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade. In total, there were 22 injuries and one death according to reports. That mass shooting hit a little close to home for someone in the North High community.

2023 graduate, Julian Banuelos lost his grandmother. Lisa Lopez – Galvan was the one fatality victim of the mass shooting at the Super Bowl Parade. Julian also had an uncle and two grade school cousins who were shot.

Lopez-Galvan was a diehard Chiefs fan according to Banuelos. She was wearing a Harrison Butker jersey, and this was not even her first Super Bowl parade she had attended. Her and her family had attended one in 2021. This family has suffered a huge loss.

Kansas City Chiefs players have sent their regards with social media posts, such as Travis Kelce and more. But Banuelos wants everyone to know how special Lopez-Galvan was.

“My grandmother was everybody’s safe place, everybody was welcomed with, she knew no stranger. She loved her family and friends; she would give her shirt off her back for anyone. She was a DJ on the radio on Tuesday for ‘A Taste of Tejano.’ She loved her community. She always gave back to her community. She would DJ events to keep kids off the streets at the community centers. Last but not least she was the most amazing wife, mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, cousin, and friend. To know her was to love her, sweet but quick to defend any loved ones. She was the strongest lady I knew. She was never afraid to stand up for what rights. May her legacy live on.”

The investigation into the shooting is still ongoing.