Turkey Drive

Chloe Goerzen, Reporter

Last year Wichita schools collected 3,500 turkeys, more than 15,300 side items and about $11,800 in monetary donations for the district’s annual Turkey Drive.
This year, North’s donations are significantly down, collecting only a couple hundred dollars.
Students are just not participating or volunteering to help, according to Redskin Involvement Team sponsor Kim Hewitt. She thinks it may be because RIT changed the way they collected donations. Instead of going to classroom, they set up central locations for each of the four classes. “I think the students have done better when it’s not a class competition, because the
class competition kind of make you lose that ownership,” she said.
“Most students just don’t seem to want to help this year, or maybe they’re just too busy. The kids just don’t seem to care anymore, and I don’t know how to change that.”
The Turkey drive is an annual district-wide event that helps United Methodist Open Door. It helps families have food for Thanksgiving. This is the 10th year the district has been a part of the Turkey Drive.
This event is very important to families who can’t afford food for Thanksgiving.
Among many Wichita schools, particularly high schools, the Turkey drive is an exciting competition to collect the most food for those in need. But for some reason this year it’s just not doing this well at North.
The district will collect the donations starting 7 a.m. – 9 a.m. on Friday, November 18.th.