The Reality U Experience

Paloma Cruz, Reporter

On Thursday, October 20th, US History 1 students had the opportunity to participate in the annual Reality U event. Reality U is a financial literacy exercise that helps students understand the importance of wise decision-making about their future as well as how their current reality impacts it.

The students’ occupations are directly aligned with their current GPA (grade point average), which makes them quickly realize just how much their future is impacted by their educational commitment. “It showed us that if we want a better life than what we had in Reality U, then we need to start preparing for it now,” said one participant.

Students were first given a sheet that had their basic information such as their GPA, whether or not they were married with children, their occupation, monthly income, annual salary, and credit score. Each of those pieces of data impacted how they lived in the stimulation. Attendees had to make sure to buy a house, utilities, transportation, and other optional add-ons depending on their life during the exercise.

While some thought of it as a wake up call that they need to turn their life around, others thought of it as a reassurance. “My future in Reality U was not what I expected it to be… it was much better. I’m very happy with how I may turn out and I will make sure to keep following that path.”