North students adjust to new life with weapons scanner

Skye Todd

Students walk through the new weapons detection scanners last week.

Elle Warren and Marie Loest

Students have been curious since the beginning of the school year when the weapons scanners would show up and how it would work. Last week, there were weapon scanners put in at the main entrances of North High School. The process has not been smooth early on but students and staff are making their best effort to adjust.

Staff went over a PowerPoint presentation explaining how the weapons scanners would work. Principal Stephanie Wasko explained what could and couldn’t go through. Initially, students were told that only weapons would set the scanner off. However, after West High School had the scanners for a few months, it was discovered that insulated water bottles, laptops and 3-ring binders would set them off as well.

After the first day, other items set the scanners off as well: monster energy drink cans, glasses cases and certain jewelry.

“One thing that I was kind of shocked about was the glasses case. I didn’t realize that would make it go off,” Assistant Principal Vanessa Martinez said.

One of the adjustments students had to make was using all three entrances instead of funneling into the same one.

“There’s too many kids trying to get in one small space at one time so it will be delayed,” Security officer, Gary Vetaw said.

On the administrator side, one adjustment that had to be made was how to handle upperclassmen leaving and returning from lunch.

“We didn’t consider the proximity of where lunch is being dispersed and the traffic that comes in there,”

Martinez said. “Switching out where the juniors and seniors exit out the tower and the ramp instead of where they normally exit (out of the main entrance),” Martinez said.

Students have had a mixed experience thus far. Some students have not noticed much of a change in their routine while others have had to make adjustments.

“Ill have everything out and it still goes off…they just let me go,” sophomore Jayla Jacobs said.

However other students have been positive about the weapon scanners.

“I feel like I get here on time and I just go to class,” junior, Simon Fajardo said.