The Student News Site of Wichita North High School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Polls

Do you prefer the new gym or the traditional gym to play in?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

North alum gives back…again

Dave Riches, Class of ’69 continued his annual giving to the vocal music department.
Barbara Rumsey
(From L to R) Choir Director Amy Davidson, North Alum Dave Riches and Alumni Association President Bill Bequette get together at North after Riches gave a generous donation to the choir department.

Once again Mr. Dave Riches has given back to the school of North High. The alum comes back to celebrate and enjoy the new generations of choir kids.

Mr. Riches is a 1962 North High alum. He had a not so normal childhood. But choir became his home and a safe place for him. He continues to stay connected to choir by giving more opportunities to newer choir students.

Through choir, Mr. Riches truly found what he loves. So much that every year he comes back to the school and gives back to the choir program. He gives Choir Director Amy Davidson four times the amount she already has.

Davidson takes the money and purchases new, nicer choral music folders for the students to keep their music in. She also uses the money to get new music for the students to sing.

When Mr. Riches visited, he brought a barbershop quartet. The 2019 Next Generational Varsity Quartet Champions, Wildfire.

Andrew, Steven, Kevin, and Harrison have been performing since the fall of 2021. They go to schools and teach younger students what barbershop is and what it takes to be in a quartet.

“It’s not long ago that we were sitting where they are now. It’s

a really cool experience to be on the other side now and give our experiences to them. It’s nice to share that joy,” Kevin said.

“It’s like giving back,” Harrison said.