The Student News Site of Wichita North High School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Polls

Do you prefer the new gym or the traditional gym to play in?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Students adjust to new cell phone policy

The USD 259 Board of Education passed a policy limiting cell phone use in school.

The new cell phone policy has had big changes in school life for students and teachers. In more recent years, the test scores at North High have been going down drastically. ACT, KELPA, Math, and English test scores have been the lowest they have ever been in 5 years. The school district has implemented a harsher cell policy in hopes of raising test scores.
Senior, Eduardo Diaz-Enriquez, said, “It’s not that necessary to that extent,” about the consequences of cell phone use in class. “How is the administration going to suspend us over the phones,” he said. “It’s the student’s choice to not pay attention, it’s about their grade,” Eduardo stated.

Many students dislike this new policy, but the administration and teachers see this as a positive change. Administrator Vanessa Martinez said,”The cell phone policy has always been in effect; however, it was reinforced district-wide due to overwhelming research of the negative impact they have on academics.” Mrs. Martinez also said, “Yes, I’ve averaged at least 1 write-up for cell phone use per day.” Mrs. Martinez stated, “Our hope is that by eliminating cell phone use during instructional time, we can maximize that time for learning and have students improve their grades and have more students pass/graduate.” “Yes, students are adjusting. The positive side is this. In the classes that I’ve observed the teacher and students following the cell phone policy, students were more engaged and learning!” Mrs. Martinez talked about students adjusting to the new cell phone policy.

Teachers have also been affected by this change as well. They have to ask students to keep their phones away during class. Mrs. Baltazar said “I’m nervous because of how students will act” She also is “hoping that students will follow the new cell phone policy.”