Students stage a walkout to raise awareness about climate change

Kenda Farhat, Reporter

At 9:30 a.m. on September 26th, during Tower Time, North students staged a walkout in attempt to bring awareness to the issue of climate change. It lasted 20 minutes with a total of 35-40 students attending. Students were told they were not to get in trouble if they participated, as Mrs. Doyle had approved it. They brought their homemade signs and met in front of the Tower Entrance when the time came. Kierra Koeber, the senior who planned it all out, said, “The strike is going on because the world is going to end if we don’t do anything about it.”

Senior Olivia Davis’ reason for attending was clear: “By participating, we could bring awareness. People are out here denying science.” Senior Janelly Baltazar agreed, and added: “We have the power to get people to act up, we need to do something. The vast majority of the group had the same intentions in mind, as made prominent by senior Jackson Stroud’s response, “We are the next generation, so what we do is going to have an effect on our following years on this planet if we don’t change.”

The crowd chanted, “Solution, not pollution!” As various students walked around the lawn, picking up trash littered across the front of the school. “There is no such thing as believing in global warming, only the acknowledgement of it.It is not a political stance,” Kierra said as she finished off her speech and then proceeded to hand out printed instructions for the student body to send letters to legislation.