North Star

North Star

North Seniors and Juniors earn Seal of Biliteracy

Kenda Farhat, Reporter

The Seal of Biliteracy is a relatively new accomplishment to be earned in Kansas. North high, along with Southeast, was a pilot school for the year of 2019.

Students are able to earn either a Gold or Platinum level seal when they are able to demonstrate their knowledge of English and a second language in a proficient manner.

To achieve Gold level, students much first meet the English requirements of either a 4 on the KELPA, a 3 on the ELA 10th grade Assessment, or a 25 on the ACT Re

ading. For Platinum, they must achieve either a 5 on the KELPA, a 4 on the ELA 10th grade Assessment, or a 28 on the ACT Reading portion.

USD 259 paid for two language assessments: Stamp4 and World Speak. Students are tested in four categories: reading, writing, listening, and speaking, if they go with a language listed under Stamp4. If they take the World Speak, they are tested in writing and speaking, since it is harder to find raters for those languages. The Seal of Biliteracy is a major accomplishment for high schoolers, proving their knowledge and proficiency in their languages.

Overall, there were 26 Juniors, and 11 Seniors who successfully completed the requirements to earn the seal.

About the Writer
Kenda Farhat, Reporter

Kenda Farhat is an energetic junior who takes inspiration from music and those around her to create her own art. Brush strokes and poetry lines are...