Dealing with Senioritis

Jennifer Anima, Reporter

As we begin second semester seniors reach a higher level of Senioritis, but what exactly is Senioritis? Is it real? “When seniors get lazy, they stop caring,” senior Rosalia Salazar said. “It’s procrastination, like you don’t wanna do nothing because you like don’t even need the class so you don’t wanna deal with it,” senior Caleb Porter said.” It just kind of ruins daily life, you feel like you you don’t have enough time for anything,” senior Brianna Ortiz said.

Some of the things seniors are doing to avoid getting senioritis are staying involved in school activities like clubs, sports, fundraisers, etc. “When you’re involved you’re more likely to come to school, and you have to come to school because you have to come to games or whatever you’re involved in,” senior Frida Loera said.

By staying involved in extracurricular activities students make more of their senior year and will most likely be happy about what they did throughout high school. In short, they won’t regret not participating their senior year. Another thing seniors can do is make space in their schedules for pass cards or holes but not go overboard so you can still be involved.

“There has to be something that keeps you motivated in order for you to stay on track,” Loera said.

To keep school life more interesting invest in taking classes you have never taken before, or a class that you have always wanted to take. It is also never too late to join a club or even create one that fits your interests. One thing senior Salazar highly recommended was creating good relationships with your teachers. Not only will this be one of the last years you will actually interact with them but when it comes to recommendation letter you want to make sure that you chose teachers you trust and are willing to do you the favor. Teachers can also help you find connections to other people for opportunities like jobs, community service, job shadows, mentors, etc. Staying organized is also something that will help seniors stay focused. For example, (if seniors haven’t already) begin writing due dates and what your homework is in your agenda. “There has to be something that keeps you motivated in order for you to stay on track,” Loera said.

When asking what Juniors could do to avoid senioritis, two of the most popular answers were not procrastinating and staying involved. Juniors can also get a head start on their senior project during the summer before senior year by finding a mentor or doing annotated bibs. Also take the ACT and SAT seriously because sometimes you can get money based off scores for college. Make sure to visit Mrs. Stork in the CCC next to the library for different opportunities and for scholarships (also found on the North Website).