History Club holds first meeting of the semester

Rosalia Salazar

History Club members gather for first meeting of the semester.

Rosalia Salazar, Reporter

On January 16th, the History Club held their first meeting since coming back from break. They discussed their upcoming field trip and sold merchandise.

Their first order of business was to discuss a program for high school students that is put on by the Bill of Rights Institute. They have an event called Student Symposiums that are day long conferences for 8th-12th graders. BoR spokesmen and local leaders from around Wichita will be attendance to talk to students and hear their opinions about certain topics. “I can’t stress enough how great of an opportunity this is for high school students,” club sponsor LaNita Smith said.

After discussing the Bill of Rights Institute topic they began to talk about their second field trip. Last semester they went to the Eisenhower Presidential Library and this semester they are planning on taking a trip the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and Jazz Museum. As they discussed their plans with their members, the topic of how much it would cost per person was a big topic of discussion. Originally it was going to cost $38 dollars per person but then members brought up the idea to stop for lunch at Joe’s BBQ. “If we make that stop, you guys would need to be prepared to bring more money with you on the trip,” club president Jorge Ollarzabal said.

To the members, that idea sounded really appealing, they were very willing to pay a couple of more dollars for some good BBQ at Joe’s. The current plan for the club is to have their field trip on March 22nd, after spring break. Before then they hope to raise funds for their trip to pizza sales and merchandise sales.