North Star

North Star

Power Outage at North High

Layla Sabrah, Tate Miller, and Tim Christmore

On Tuesday, March 6th, North High experienced a power outage while practicing a tornado drill. It left classes, offices and the gyms without lights. Some teachers had major setbacks, while others were not very effected.
“I was in my office at the time and the lights went out so all I saw was pitch black,” P.E. teacher Gary Squires said. “I was using my phone flashlight to see everything.”
The school was using the backup generators, which meant that some of the hallway lights were still on. But it did prove problematic for teachers who rely on electricity to teach their classes.
“It made my 6th hour very boring, I had planned out my class and so I had everything on my computer and projector,” History teacher John Kerby said. “It’s hard to teach a class when your plan is all based on the power working.”
Students also had a hard time in their classes. Hamilton Kelly, a senior, was in the auditorium when the lights went out. While it was very dark in there they had a few lights still on. Hamilton, thinking quickly, turned on a spotlight which provided enough light for the class to see.
“It wasn’t super dark. The lights went out and we still had a few on, but we just turned on the spotlight and went on with class” said Hamilton.
After 40 minutes, the power was restored and the lights came back on.

About the Writers
Layla Sabrah, Reporter
Senior Layla Sabrah,  youngest of all her four siblings and future mechanical engineer, joined North’s media team her freshman year because talking to people was a struggle. She wanted to be involved in North’s activities and spread the word but her shyness restricted her from doing so. This class,in a way, forced her to go...
Tim Christmore, Reporter
Timothy Christmore was forced into journalism by his mother. Turns out, he really doesn’t mind. Christmore was born in Zaporizha, a city in southeastern Ukraine. He and his brother were both moved to Kiev, Ukraine where they were both adopted. Christmore was a year and half and his brother was two when they arrived to...