North Star

North Star

New schedule for 2018-19 School Year

Marlen Castaneda, Reporter

Kiss all the extra days off that we had this year because starting next year the new schedule is gone. The USD 259 Board of Education voted for the calendar for the 2018-19 school year to revert back to the old schedule. School will go back to starting the day at 8 a.m. and getting out at 3:10p .m. This means having spring break a week earlier than everybody else, and leaving for summer later than we do this year. There are many opinions on the schedule we have now and the old one.

“We have 15 days less of school and they still expect me to teach the same stuff… It’s hard on the kids because they don’t have the time to slow down.” said Karen Burrell, teacher at North.

Maybe having all of those days off isn’t the best for students and their teachers.

“I do think having 30 minutes less will be beneficial to the students, but with the extra class, there will be less time for instruction.” Science teacher Claire Poteete said.

This change will have it’s pros and it’s cons but we can only adjust.

About the Writer
Marlen Castaneda, Reporter
Carrington Tackitt was born May 2nd. She attended Heights for two years, then transferred to North for her Junior and Senior years. She enjoys playing softball, listening to music, and watching soccer and basketball. Her favorite basketball team is KU. Carrington hopes to attend University of Kansas one day for sports medicine. From her transfer from Heights...