North Star

North Star

Threat turns a school day upside down for teachers

Marlen Castaneda, Reporter

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you heard about the threat about a school shooting that was to happen on Feb. 8. This was nothing to be taken lightly, and Principal Sherman Padgett understood that. There were plenty of safety precautions that took place.

Although rigid security precautions were put in place, many students stayed home Thursday. This changed many teachers’ plans for the day. “I was expecting a lot of confusion and chaos, but everything went smoothly. I was disappointed in the kids who saw it as a free pass,” teacher Gaye Coburn said.

Students were going through metal detectors all day and were constantly being checked. “I did what I was originally going to do, knowing I’d have to start over,” teacher Amy Davidson said. Davidson’s choir classes were working hard even though she reported more than 25 kids being gone in one class.

Sometimes teachers just had to do what they had to do. “I was supposed to start a new unit but when half my class was gone, I scrapped that. I made it into a work day so students could get caught up,”  teacher Randy Griffitts said.

As you can see, it varied on the teacher and what they had planned. “I really appreciated that they took it seriously. We were in very good hands,” teacher Lara Engle said.

About the Writer
Marlen Castaneda, Reporter
Carrington Tackitt was born May 2nd. She attended Heights for two years, then transferred to North for her Junior and Senior years. She enjoys playing softball, listening to music, and watching soccer and basketball. Her favorite basketball team is KU. Carrington hopes to attend University of Kansas one day for sports medicine. From her transfer from Heights...