What happened to Redskin Involvement Team?

Audrey Miller, Reporter

Anyone who’s been at North for at least a year will typically remember Redskin Involvement Team (RIT), a group of individuals who worked towards bettering North  High by hosting various projects and fundraisers, such as the yearly donation collections for the Turkey Drive.

As of this year, though, RIT seems to have disappeared. There are no more announcements in the morning calling for weekly lunch meetings, and the name itself seems to have even been nearly forgotten. However, RIT does in fact still exist.

RIT is no longer a lunch club. Frustrated with only being able to have so much time to plan and schedule projects and work with the team, the leader, Mrs. Turnbow, has decided to transform it into a regular class.

Currently, the class is officially called Leadership Skills on the transcripts, and is held ninth and tenth hours. Dubbed ‘Leadership’ in person, the class is not to be confused with JROTC, which also goes by the same name.

During class, students take part in various team building exercises, learn about people making impacts around the world, and of course, plan volunteering activities and fundraising projects. As of right now, the students are collecting presents to gift to Angel Tree children.

Angel Tree is a program started by The Salvation Army where individuals (or groups) send gifts to be given to underprivileged children so that they, too, can have a Christmas. This is done by creating ‘ornaments’ out of paper depicting an angel with a child’s name, age, and interests listed. In the library display case in A hall, if you look at the Christmas tree, there are a few other Angel Tree requests hanging.

Mrs. Turnbow herself volunteers regularly, and frequently posts volunteer opportunities in the class’ Google Classroom. She has stated that even in taking part in small activities that go towards helping others, a huge impact is made. That’s just about what RIT/Leadership is for – making an impact.

“Redskin Involvement Team exists so that we can work towards the betterment of our community,” she proclaimed.

Some of the Leadership students at an event for dropping off Turkey Drive donations