GEAR UP prepping North sophomores

Natassja Washington, Reporter

Are you a sophomore and looking for extra help or someone to reach out to? North high has lots of help that is provided to students. However, sophomores have your own sponsor that you can look to for help. That sponsor is called GEAR UP. GEAR UP is a Wichita State University funded program that provides help for class of 2020 students only. This group can be joined by anyone graduating with the class of 2020.

Although this program is not offered at each Wichita public school, it is offered at four of them. Those schools are North High, West High, South High and Southeast.

GEAR UP is an acronym for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs. This means that it’s helping to prepare class of 2020 students for college. GEAR UP makes sure that students are prepared and on track to graduate.

“GEAR UP is a program that helps class of 2020 students to prepare for college and also provide them with extra help, if needed,” adviser Schreen Williams said.

GEAR UP has rewarding parties to congratulate and motivate students. They give out prizes for the people with the highest GPA and the top ranked person of the entire north high class of 2020 class.

“I believe that you can do it if you stay focused on your work, i’m always here if you get behind or need help,”  Williams said.