HALO open to new members

Rosalia Salazar

HALO members working had at Watrerfest 2016.

Rosalia Salazar, Reporter

HALO (Hispanic American Leadership Organization) is an extracurricular club that North offers to students that are looking to join a club.

The club has been around for about 8 years and was formed because a group of students spoke to Ms. Parga and Mrs.Brant, the club sponsors, and told them how North is a school that has a high number is Hispanics and they thought they needed a club to represent them. “The group stands to promote the Hispanic culture in a positive light and move away from the negative stereotypes around the Hispanic community,” Mrs. Parga said.

The way the group strives to achieve this goal is by participating in a lot of community service and leadership activities. “One thing I love about HALO is all the community service activities we do, not only do I get some community service hours but I also get to help people,” member Antonio Hernandez said.

This year the group had about 50 members but Mrs. Parga says they are always open and encourage new members to join. “I joined HALO because i wanted to be apart of a group that i could relate to, this is my first year being apart of it but i really love it,” member Jorge Ollarzabal said.

“I think HALO really represents me as an individual, I moved from Mexico 6 years ago and coming to North and joining this club really made me feel at home,” Hernandez said.

Hernandez would definitely recommend people join HALO becuase “it’s great club to be in and its a great to get community service hours.”