The struggle and truth behind market day

Tate Miller, Reporter

Only 50 minutes to sell as much as you can and make as much as possible. Market day is not as easy as it looks. A business whether small or big is not simple or easy to run.
Building my business was not as easy as it sounded. Finding a food that a majority of people enjoy and that is not commonly done on market day was not easy finding . Finally settling on the idea steak nachos, process of finding costs. Finding the cost of all of the foods that go into the nachos and pricing it at a reasonable price is where it gets tricky.

Trying to make money but also charge at a reasonable price is a thin line. Taking out a loan of $100 to start up my business. Finally concluding on $5 I’d be making $2.25 after the costs of paying back the loan and costs of products. Getting input from teachers and students, all telling me my price was too high. I gave in and dropped my price to $4.

The day of market day, I was stressing harder than ever. I spent my day running around gathering materials and praying it would all go smooth.
I could tell the teachers of YE were far more stressed than me. A crowd of students following their every move, asking questions a mile a minute.

Lunch time rolls around, the crowd rushing and piling all on the lawn. Fearful that I’d not do well, I sold far more than I expected. Students and teachers enjoyed the nachos and a few came by for another plate. Business became very slow and dead towards the end of lunch. Making $190 on my first day, I paid back my loan and invested the rest for the following day. I was very surprised to have made $190 on my first day of selling. I looked forward the next day of selling.
At the end of lunch, 30 minutes to pack up, I realized had to place to store my leftover materials. Running to the journalism classroom I frantically ask if I can store my materials in the room until the end of the day. I then made several trips outside and back to store all of my materials before I had to be in class. By the time I arrive to class I was sweating and out of breath.

Last day of market day, I spent my morning outside setting up for lunch. I was very optimistic about the sales I’d make that day. Smooth running for the morning, lunch time comes around. Right after I make my first sale, I realize I am in a bad spot. Far out by the gymnasium where no one goes to buy, mainly staying close to the library. The whole lunch time, barely making sales. The time seemed to drag on forever. Trying to drive customers to my stand, was very stressful. After dropping the prices from $4 to $3 then ultimately making it $2, still no one came to buy.
End of lunch, I was very tired from the overhead sun and yelling to bring customers. Making less than I did my first day, totaling out to $130, I realized that market is not a simple project.
My lesson was learned.