FCCLA National Star event

Bethany Hamann and Paloma Cruz

Three North students won awards at the FCCLA National Star Event Nov. 3-6 in Denver.
FCCLA sponsor Aileen Delforge said, “My expectations were for all to compete at the highest level.” She said her favorite part was seeing Vivian Aguilar on stage. Culinary Arts teacher Bill Loudermilk also attended the conference with culinary arts students. He said he has visited Denver before, but none of the students had.
The students who won awards were Vivian Aguilar, Fany Lopez, and Jordan Berseth. They all said that they would go back if they had the chance. Vivian competed in culinary art and improvisational speaking. She said the most fun part for her was walking around downtown Denver at night. The highlight of her trip was seeing the Colorado scenery.
Fany said that her highlight was winning. She competed in culinary art. She said that she was proud and excited to have won. Fany said that she felt more confident after getting her name called. She said that she would encourage other students to give competitions like this a chance. “Try it. Even if you don’t win, it’s still fun,” she said. Coming back from the competition, she said she never wanted to leave.
Jordan said that it being her first time in Denver, it was “cool” and “intimidating”. Her highlight of the trip was “eating – because I like eating!” Jordan’s favorite part of the competition was making a turtle out of a potato. She said she felt nervous during the competition because there was a chef standing over her.