The Student News Site of Wichita North High School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Polls

Do you agree with the new start time of 7:50?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Meraz, state qualifiers ready to compete

Senior Jaycee Tyler attempts to pin her opponent. Tyler is one of six North wrestlers competing at state.

Xitlaly Meraz feels prepared. Last year, Meraz finished 4th at the state tournament in the 115-pound division. This year, she’s looking for more.

Meraz is one of six wrestlers competing at the state tournament at Hartman Arena that starts today. Meraz (115 pound), Lilly Fountain (120 pound), Jaycee Tyler (145 pound) and Aariyah Jackson (170 pound) are representing the girls team and Tommy Shields (113 pound) and Noe Alvarado (175 pound) are representing the boys team.

“I feel like I’ve improved a lot looking my record and I’m more prepared after going through (the tournament) last year,” Meraz said. “I’ll definitely try not to get too much in my head. That’s why I went on a run this morning, to clear my head.”

This year, the state tournament will be over the course of three days as opposed to years past when it was two days. Meraz said and the other state qualifiers are prepared for the change. They went through this earlier this year, wrestling a dual against South and Bishop Carroll on a Thursday and then participating in a two-day tournament Friday and Saturday.

“I try not to let (the change) affect me because if I think about it too much it’s like ‘oh it’s three days I have to make weight but I try to not to let that affect me,” Meraz said.

6A and 5A girls will being today at noon with the semi-final matches beginning at noon on Friday and the championship matches at 9 a.m. on Saturday. The boys will begin at 5:15 p.m. today and follow the same format on Friday and Saturday beginning at 2 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. on Saturday.