The Student News Site of Wichita North High School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Polls

Do you prefer the new gym or the traditional gym to play in?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

North football taking it one step at a time

It is the halfway point of games for the North high Redhawk’s football team, with a 0-4 record so far in the 2023 season. Even though they have a four-game losing streak, the football team is growing and improving every week from practices and games.

The head coach of the football team Mitch Kucera said, ” We have learned a lot and improved ourselves since the week 1 game.” In the next three weeks after the loss in week 1 game against Southeast, the team has figured out new techniques and plays to call for future games.

The next game for the football team is against Bishop Carroll at Bishop Carroll as a home game on September 29th at 7p.m. and they are ready and prepared to get better in this next game for them. “We need to  execute better as a team in games and become who we know we are,” Coach Kucera said.

Some may think it is hard to be motivated  to keep trying hard and show up to practices after four losses in a row, but the players work as much as they can to improve themselves at practice after four devastating losses in the team. Senior wide receiver Rico Jones said, “My brother (running back) Deanthony Jones and my dad keep me motivated and the younger kids keep me motivated because I want to show them the way to success and prove myself to them.”

Things do still need to change for the Redhawk’s football team at practice before they go up against Bishop carol. “The coaching style does need to change a bit better for this team to grow and for them to bring up the positivity energy for my teammates,”  Jones said.

The football team is figuring things out and building a lot better than they used to in the past years. All that needs to happen is for them to execute and win the rest of their games this season.