Students participate in All City choir

Peyton Adams, Reporter

Several North High students have gotten the chance to participate in the All City Choir this year. All choir students in Wichita had the opportunity to participate. “I was most excited to be around powerful voices that could really move the sound,” Senior Michael Chavez said.

These talented students had only six rehearsals, most being over three hours, to learn five pieces and perfect them for the concert that was February 22nd at 7:30 at Century II. The pieces are; I Dream A World by Andre J. Thomas, I Choose Love by Mark A. Miller, Hope Lingers On by Lissa Schneckenburger, There’s Gonna Be A Homecoming by Kyle Pederson, and Look At The World by john Rutter (Which will be performed with the middle school All City Honor Choir).

“I love the song choices this year. This year there is a mix of of songs that I have done before and new songs that I’m excited to learn,” said Anthony Young, Senior. Gianna Stephens, Senior, thinks that the songs give a good message to people listening.

All City Choir has proven to be an amazing chance for students to learn from very credible musicians. “All City is such a fun opportunity that I have been able to be apart of and I’m just grateful that I’ve been able to do it as many times as I have,” Young said. Students get excited for All City every year and are all encourage to join. “Singing in a higher level is always more fun,” Chavez said.

This years conductor was Dr. Waters who was the 2022 recipient of the Robert K. Baar Choral Excellence Award . “I’m very excited to work with him, I’ve only heard good things about him from Mrs. Davidson,” Young said. Waters choirs have been invited to sing in many notable venues such as Carnegie Hall, Washington National Cathedral, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, York Minster, and the Salzburg Cathedral. His choirs have also traveled  throughout England, Austria, the Czech Republic, and Ireland. “The conductor was very passionate about music so that was great,” Stephens said.

All the seniors felt upset that this was their last year to participate. “I’m really sad that I wasn’t able to experience it all four years but I’m really glad I did it this year,” Chavez said.