An open letter from a North alum

An open letter from a North alum

Mitchell Kucera, North High Teacher/Alum

Dear Fellow North High Alumni,
My name is Mitch Kucera and I graduated in 2006 and I am also a current teacher and the Head Track and Field coach. I started going to North events when I was 8 years old and it has been a large part of my life. I have even been called “Mr. North High” by my peers. I was heavily involved as a student and even more now as a teacher and coach. Part of my identity is linked to this building and culture that is North High.
We all have our personal connections and stories for North that have resulted in life-long friends, love stories, and times of glory that will be told repeatedly. This is a truly special place that has a lasting effect on anyone that signs the tower or gets tingles when singing the alma mater.
In regard to the recent decision, I will tell you that I am deeply saddened because in my personal experience the word “Redskin” is a term of endearment and something that I proudly call myself. In my mind, the word does not have a racist or negative connotation, it is a symbol of togetherness, pride, grit, and family. I wear it with pride because it represents my time here and my connection to all of the wonderful people I met. It also connects me to the generations of amazing alumni before me and all of those to come. Unfortunately, the term we have come to love and celebrate has not always been associated with wonderful memories but instead hurt, hate and sadness and our hearts go out to those that have experienced that.
I realize that this is going to be hard for me, but I have come to see that the mascot did not create those memories or form those amazing bonds. It did not make me want to come back and impact lives like my teachers did for me. It did not take a shy, chubby, insecure boy and help him develop into a man capable of great things. The community of friends, teachers, and alumni that I was fortunate to be involved with helped me to become that man.
The building is still here. The students growing up in the same neighborhoods you did are still here. There are many alumni teachers in this building that are feeling the same emotions that you are. We are here working for these students to pass on your legacies. Alumni and their passion for this school is the main reason North High is so special. We are here for you; you are still an important part of us, and we need you now more than ever to help with the next generation.
Keep telling those North High kids your memories and keep encouraging them to accomplish their dreams. WE ARE NORTH HIGH!
Sincerely,
Mitchell Kucera
On behalf of the alumni teachers/staff of North High School