The Student News Site of Wichita North High School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Polls

Which social media is your favorite?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Construction leads to changes for students

Andrea Hernandez
The intersection of A and C halls are permanently closed for the remainder of the school year.

As of last week, the intersection A and C hall, tower entrance, and the front entrance of the library, A104, A106, A108, and the back part of the nurses office were officially closed. Principal Kristina Murray sent out a phone call to all the parents of students that attend North explaining what will be closed and a brief explanation of why.

Yesterday, more of the school closed down. The east stairwell by the tower entrance, A102, Mrs. Macias and Mrs. Montes- Murphy, Mr. Bibens, the Nurses office, and the girls and boys A hall restroom all closed.

North High was built in 1928 so the building is almost 100 years old. While things get older is must be replaced to keep up with the new things.

“Last summer, we had to close parts of C- hall due to some structural issues. That area was shored with a plan to permanently repair it this summer. Those repairs will take some time and the project is on a tight timeline to get done 8/13, when our new students come. The contractors have developed a plan that will allow them to get a lot of work done before the C- hall areas are closed on May 28th. As they have gotten into the work, the replacement of old wires, pipes, materials, etc.. is more extensive than anticipated. We are on such a tight timeline, the more work that can be done now, the better chance of the project being completely done by the 1st day of school,” Murray said.

Now that the construction has begun, Mrs. Murray was generous by giving 2 extra minutes to the passing period.

Scarlett, a junior, said, “The extra time in passing period has helped me get to class early. Usually I am late but now I’ve been making it on time.”

Jovanni, a freshman,  said, “It takes me longer to get to class because now I have to go all the way around. The two extra minutes are not that helpful because it’s only two minutes.”

With the nurses office and security office closing they had to be relocated. The nurses office is now in the wrestling room (H117). The new temporary security office is in the library (D102A).

Officer Guerrero said,   “I like the new office space because it bigger but since I am on crutches it takes me longer to get around. The benefits is getting to see a new group of students, since I get to go through the library it’s nice to see new people.”

Nurse Katie said, “The move is an inconvenience to everyone. The challenges are that the walk is very far for students and its very unsanitary.”

Mrs. Murray did add, “In the event of an emergency, the areas currently closed are safe to use.”