An Educational Home

Jennifer Navarro, Reporter

Thursday, October 11th started in a rush for me. I woke up to an annoyingly loud alarm. It was earlier than I wake up everyday but I had to make it to the bus pick up on time. Prior to this I signed up to tour the campus of Fort Hays State University. I didn’t really think anything about it at the time because I assumed it would be the typical college visit. To my surprise it was completely different.

The staff and the students were all surprisingly nice to everyone. While we took a tour outside we passed by a group that was giving out free coffee. What’s the big deal about that you might be thinking? They were doing it as an act of kindness. I stopped by to talk to them and ask them why they were out in the cold doing it. They smiled at me and said ,” If you give an act of kindness without expecting anything in return you start enjoying life more.” Their response to my question left me speechless. They didn’t have to stand out in the cold as a project or because it benefit them it was actually genuine. Classes are much smaller than most of the colleges in our area. Since they’re smaller the teachers get to know you on a personal level. They also try to stay in contact with you to keep you updated with your grades.

I have gone to many college visits but this one stuck out because it felt to cozy and homey. Just walking around students would stop and ask how were enjoying the school. FHSU has to be one of the best colleges I’ve been to. I would recommend all students to take a day and give this school a chance. Being at this school made me realize that college isn’t something to always stress about but to enjoy.  At Fort Hays State University you’re not just another student you’re apart of a family. One that I will be a part of starting next fall.