Calendar and schedule changes have pros and cons

Karla Cardenas Pasten, Reporter

You know what they say: “New year, new me”. That’s exactly the case for the 2018-2019 school year calendar and schedule. From school starting at 8:00 a.m. sharp to school ending at 3:10 p.m. sharp to 15 extra days of education, there are many opinions surrounding the new changes.

Back on February 12, the USD 259 Board of Education approved and voted on the 2018-2019 calendar and schedule change for this new school year. The calendar returned schools to shorter school days, but a longer 190 day school year. Changes aren’t just seen in the bell schedule and school days but also in much awaited dates. The fall recess will begin November 22-23, the Winter recess will begin December 19-January 2, the Spring recess will begin March 11-15, and the last day of school will be on May 23.

However, some teachers are OK with going back to the old schedule.

“It’s easier to remember time, and get on time. It feels good to go back,” said math teacher Amy Cunningham.

While some students complain that the changes shouldn’t have been made, others appreciate the extra minutes of sleep.

“I think the changes were good because it’s easier to get to school. I’m also very happy with the extra time,” said Linette Arriaga.

“I like how I have ten more minutes in the morning because I can sleep more and be less rushed,” said Melanie Gonzalez.

“I think the changes were for the best because students had to wake up too early, especially the kids that ride the bus,” said Perla Olivas, library clerk.

Aside from more sleep, students will hopefully be able to arrive on time and leave school more happily with less stress.

“Although I don’t like the new lunch, I like how I can go home earlier,” said Victoria Brown.

“Students as well as teachers have more time, especially the kids that do sports. They’ll be able to go home a earlier without it feeling like too much of load,” said Vicki Brandenburg, history teacher.

While it’s debatable if the new changes are in fact beneficial or not, only time will tell.