Former North student sharing love of art

Ruben Rodriguez Rangel, Interviewer

Vincent Wood intended to go to Wichita State University, but decided against it. Instead, he attended The International School for Drawing, Painting, and Sculpture in Umbria, Italy after being encouraged to keep making oil paintings since he’d studied great lighting techniques.  In Italy, fate would bring him into contact with Irish painter Ted Jones and his gallery representative from Killarney, Ireland.  A friendship developed, which led to the first painting sold of Ernest’s work on Irish soil in 2007. Yearly shows followed in 2008 and 2009.

As a former North High student he was reached out to see if he’d come and speak to some students. On his website he shows many types of paintings. Most had to do with lighting and deep moments. One painting opened Mr. Horning’s eyes and wanted it to be put in the library because of the inspiration it has to dream big and work hard to accomplish your dream. He emailed him off of his website to invite him and Vincent responded with excitement to give back to show that other kids can do this for a living. During his speech, he mentioned that he would love his paintings to connect with the viewers. Mr. Horning said that, “With the things Vincent taught the students, they could start creating their own things.”