Family Fiesta, rain or shine

North invites families to start the year off right

North kicked off the year with its annual Family Fiesta and Open House.

The festivities were brought inside because of the rain, but that did not stop students, parents, and faculty from having a good time and starting off the year. There were activities such as a cakewalk, piñatas and face painting.

Clubs and school organizations such as Hispanic American Leadership Organization (HALO), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), History Keepers, and many more sold an assortment of items, ranging from nachos to pickles and much more.

Family Fiesta is part of the traditional Open House. The purpose is to help students and their families get acquainted with faculty and staff.

During the event, students from grades 9 through 12 were asked what they like the best about being a Redskin and overwhelmingly, the answer was that students love the school’s traditions. Senior Huy Nguyen said the tradition he likes the best are pep assemblies. Every school has them, but ours are more special.”

North isn’t just known for the great traditions that take place every year within its walls, but also for the warm and inviting atmosphere students and faculty create. Freshman Tayton Wyatt said, “I wasn’t sure I was going to like it, but now that I am here I like it. The teachers here are great. They think outside the box.”

It’s not just students who love North, teachers and administrators also expressed positive feelings. Physics teacher Ryan Owen said what he likes the most about being apart of the school community is “The kids. I wouldn’t trade North High School kids for anyone else, because they’re great, because they’re gritty, because they overcome, because they’re amazing.”

Feelings of pride are common among the North community from the students, teachers and administrators. Principal Sherman Padgett said, “I love my job because I get to work with 2,000 of the coolest kids in the city.”